Monday, August 15, 2011

I PICK

Today we learned how to choose books that are "just right" for us as a reader. Finding a "just right" book is so important, because reading these books will help you grow as a reader. We used IPICK to help us remember how to choose a "just right" book.

I choose a book.
Purpose - Why do I want to read it?
Interest - Does it interest me?
Comprehend - Am I understanding what I am reading?
Know - I know most of the words. (5 finger rule)*If you miss more than 5 words on the first page the book is a too hard.

We decided that books are like shoes.


There are many different kinds of books, but you must look for what interests you and what your purpose is. We would not wear rain boots to the beach, and we wouldn't wear shoes that were way too big for us either. Shoes have to fit just right to serve their purpose. Books are the same way. We must find books that fit... JUST RIGHT BOOKS!

**Everyone is doing a great job with their money. We even had a few students figure out today that they could pay their $15 for recess with three $5 bills! :) GREAT JOB! (We had been paying with one $10 and one $5.)


No comments:

Post a Comment